Running In May
I am making fantastic progress on my 2012 running goals
- Miles Run: 152.1
- Days Run: 24
- Days Off: 7
- Longest Run: 13.3 5/15/12
- Fastest Run: 8:13 5/27/12 – Home 5K Course
- Best Week: 50.88 week ending 5/27/12
Shoes Run In
- Nike Free 4.0 v2 – Absolutely love them, I ran 50 miles in them the first week I had them with NO problems. They just fit my feet and running style.
- Saucony Kinvara 2 – Have been retired to walking and mowing the lawn.
- New Balance MT110 – Are in the closet until I start running trails again.
- Newton Gravity – Are in the closet, they required too much work (shoe surgery) to make them fit my feet correctly and so that I didn’t keep rubbing my ankle raw. It is too bad because I really like the Newtons.
Summary: While I haven’t raced this month, I consider it a great month! On 5/17 I got to talk with the local Newton representative about my form and my shoes. So I know what improvements I have to make with my form.
I found the shoes that work for me better than any have in recent memory and went back to my old standby – Nike. I have more gear and have worn more Nike shoes than any other brand and I keep coming back to them for a reason – they just work for me.
This month in a word: Great
I ended April at 155 and today 5/31 am at 153 still loosing about two pounds in a month – it doesn’t sound like a lot, but the reality is that it is in that 155 is MY GOAL WEIGHT, so it is a huge deal! I am under my goal weight. I really believe that the number of long runs and mileage that I am putting in is getting the weight down.
With better weather on the horizon, I have a feeling that I will be hitting my goal weight and staying between 150-155 which is where TheWife would like me to stay and I think that is a good weight for me to be at.
43 pounds lost since June 17, 2012
- Tommie Copper Sleeve Review – First Impressions
- First Run in Asics Gel Blur 33 – 2/16/12
- My Transition Plan to Minimalist Running Shoes
- Tommie Copper – Is Working
- Wordless Wednesday – 2/1/12
- Newton Gravity–After 50 Miles
- Running Log Spreadsheet Template
- Narrowed the Choices Down to 5 Running Shoes
- Zensah Compression Socks – Follow-up Review
- Saucony Kinvara 2 – After 50 Miles
I have made a couple of decisions and we will see how they turn out over the course of the next month. But I should be doing a lot more blogging and getting back to being who I am really am.
One of the things that I really like to do is to review new gear. Whether I buy something myself or provided a product to review, I enjoy trying it out and seeing if it works as advertised or not. But more importantly – whether I like it or not and why. Blogging about running related products makes me think differently about what I am using – which is a good thing.
I have done the following product reviews this month:
- Nike Free 4.0 v2 – After 50 Miles - Personal Purchase
- First Run in Nike 4.0 Free Rides - Personal Purchase
- Zensah Compression Socks – Follow-up Review - Media Sample
- Newton Gravity – Running Shoe Surgery - Personal Purchase
I didn’t have many opportunities to review products this month, but that is okay, I enjoyed just focusing on my running for a change.
A slight change to my goals – is to make sure that I am enjoying running and not letting it become too much like work.
Good progress, while I worked hard at my running, I didn’t allow it to become work. I still look forward to my runs and don’t get too wound up about them if they are not quite what I am looking for that day
This year my big goals are:
- Run 1,200 miles – I am ahead of schedule having a total of 672.9 miles through 5-months.
- Run a sub 20:00 5K – This will be very tough to do, but for now I am working on my mileage base and not worrying too much about speed, in training runs last month. I am just getting ready for the 1/2 Marathon on June 24th.
- Get through 2012 without any significant down time or injuries (running related or others). Just some aches and strains so far
- My unadvertised goals from the start of the year are to be able to finish a half-marathon. Ran a 01:48:59 for a training run, so I am way ahead of schedule for this one.
- Run a few trail races when the weather gets better – I just haven’t run any trails, since I found the young lady with a broken leg, I don’t know if that affected me subconsciously or what, but I need to get back to my trail running – I do miss it.
My long-term goal will be to run the 2013 Marine Corps Marathon. I finished the 1983 Marathon and to run/finish Marine Corps again 30 years later would be very cool. This is one of the major goals that I have in mind for my running and it would be even more fantastic if I could qualify for Boston that same day. Therefore, I am doing a 2 year work-up to the Marathon distance, just to see if my knee will hold up.
The reality is that
May was another great month for running. I hope that I finally got my shoe miseries sorted out and that the Nike Free 4.0 are as great at 300-500 miles as they were in their first 50. There is just something about how I run in them that makes me feel comfortable running in them.
- Keep smiling and good things will happen!