I chose to do my first run in the Sonic’s to be a fairly tough run – My Middle Road Loop, which has hills, dirt roads and ditches to jump in to avoid vehicles.
I did this because it would tell me a lot about how the Adidas would treat my hammies and hip.
So how did they do?
Much better than I thought they would. Which leaves me cautiously optimistic after one run in these shoes. What causes me to think this way?
- I was able to “run smoothly” downhill. It didn’t feel like I was breaking when I was going down Philbrick Hill and it just felt much more comfortable than it has been all year.
- My hamstrings didn’t bark at me very much during the run, not even when going uphill, which really bothered yesterday.
- The hip while a little sore, but it didn’t feel any worse and after the run, it didn’t start to hurt more, which was a problem last night.
- The Sonics had a much nicer feel on the roads, when running in them than they did in the store.
- They did really well on the dirt roads down-back and didn’t store little stones in the soles of the shoes.
- I ran the course in 42:03, which was the second fastest I have run this course this year, without knowing my shoes and the shoes still needing little adjustments to the lacing. My splits were:
- 1.0 – 7:53
- 2.0 – 16:02 (8:09)
- Town Office – 26:31 (10:28)
- 4.0 – 33:41 (10:10)
- 5.0 – 42:03 (8:22) – which is pretty fast for me for this last mile, with 2 pretty good hills.
The shoes were responsive and allowed me to run on my forefoot/full foot, when I was focusing on running that way. When I got more tired (after the 4.0 mile mark) and was definitely landing with more heel, the Adidas felt good either way.
The Adizero Sonics are a lot more forgiving than my minimalist shoes and for a first run in a pair of running shoes I am cautiously optimistic that they will work for me, but then again I say that every time I get a new pair of shoes. So I am going to withhold judgment for a while on these ones.
They are going to be a different shoe to add to my shoe rotation and I definitely will be able to find them pretty easily .
Joey is coming to investigate all the different running shoes.